There are many electric vehicle charging companies available in the UK and here we offer an overview of the major players, if we have missed anyone out ( even our company) let us know vis our email :
Electrocity launched their first electric vehicle charge point, at South Mimms services on the M25 over 7 years ago in 2011 very much at the beginning of the march towards a more sustainable transport in the UK. At this current moment the electric vehicle community can make use of a network of charging stations that covers almost the entire motorway network, whilst in future you’ll see Electric Highway pumps moving onto A roads and beyond.
Electrocity offers a great Electric Vehicle Charging App and its very handy as you travel around the country when you need to charge your EV, our Electric Highway car charging app allows you to check the location and status of our charge points in real time. It also shows if they’re currently available or being used.
For EV drivers, according to CYC they make it simpler and more convenient to travel across the UK. The CYC Access Card provides access to all charge points on the Charge Your Car network, whilst the CYC app lets EV drivers find and use charge points. To use the network, EV drivers simply register with a direct debit to their bank account, which connects to their CYC Access Card and app. The CYC telephone help centre provides support and advice.
Charge Point Manufacturers
To join the Charge Your Car network and get instant access to a growing number of plug-in electric vehicle drivers throughout the UK, you will need a charge point that is CYC Approved as OCPP compliant. OCPP is an open protocol between charging stations and a central charge point management system (CPMS). It allows any compliant charging station from any charge point manufacturer to connect to the network and for this reason has been chosen by Charge Your Car to create the UK’s first ‘open’ network, accessible by all charge point owners, all network operators, and all drivers of plug-in electric vehicles.
Visit their website to find out more at : http://www.chargeyourcar.org.uk/
POLAR Instant allows you to simply and instantaneously access a national estate of charging points simply from your smart phone. There is a version for iPhone and also for Android phone. You do not need to bother with an advance registration process and or an RFID card. Hundreds of charging points area available across the country including a number of rapid chargers. Many of the charging points are free to use and the chargeable ones have the tariff clearly shown on your smartphone.
The Polar Instant iPhone app is available to download now on the App Store. The Android App will be available on Google Play in mid-May
This is simply how it works:
- Download the POLAR Instant app onto your smartphone. It is free. Register as a user on the app and add some credit to your account using a credit/debit card.
- Simply search, using the built in navigation facility, for the charge point that you wish to use.
- When you are at the charging point press the start charge button on the App and plug your vehicle in. Within seconds your car will start charging – it’s as easy as that.
- When your charging session is coming to an end simply press the button on your app saying “Stop charge” and a signal will be sent to the charge point to finish the charge and release your cable.
- You will then be sent a message which will display on your smartphone the cost (if any) of the charge and your account balance.
Visit their website to find out more at : https://www.polarinstant.com/